Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tech, Tots, & Tweets


Times are changing, would you agree?  Our kids will grow up in a culture where literacy not only means being able to read and write, but also being able to use and adapt to the latest technology.  They are so-called “digital natives,” meaning they’ll never know a world without cell phones, tablets, or i- ____ (fill-in-the-blank).  Even the youngest toddlers are experienced swipers!  If they have the dexterity to manipulate computers and other tech devices, why not use them intentionally to supplement their early learning?  This idea-not original to me by any stretch-really dawned on me when I acquired an iPad last fall.  Everyone in my family uses it, including my 3 year-old, who quickly figured out how to manipulate the device.  He’s no stranger to technology.  He was a big fan of Baby Einstein early on, and we’ve gone through our share of AA batteries required for various educational toys made by LeapFrog and V-Tech.  He knows exactly what the remotes and mobile phones are for, and he won’t hesitate to let you know when any device is not working properly.  But there is something different about the iPad and this new generation of tools known as Web 2.0.  Sorry to be cliché, but the possibilities are endless!  Between the internet and a half million-plus mobile apps, there is something valuable for everyone, even the youngest learners.  My purpose for this blog is to share with stay-at-home parents, homeschoolers, and preschool teachers some of the tech tools we enjoy.       

A way parents and educators can stay in-the-know about the latest in technology and web tools is by using Twitter.  Until recently, I didn’t know much about Twitter other than it was another form of social media and it included a lot of mysterious symbols and jargon that I didn’t understand.  I have since learned that Twitter can be a very valuable resource, and along the way I have learned how to interpret the lingo.  No matter what you are interested in personally or professionally, there is a great likelihood that someone out there is blogging or tweeting about it.  Twitter is a great way to connect with and learn from others all over the world.  I have compiled a list of tweeters who, like me, have an interest in early childhood education and/or technology.  Some of these tweeters are individuals, some are app development businesses, and some are public service entities.  Among my favorites on the list are @PreKPages, @pbsteachers, and @momswithapps.  I’ve included a link to the complete list below.  I’m anxious to learn creative ways of applying technology in early learning from each of these sources, and it’s my hope that those who visit this blog or view my Twitter list will do the same.       


Check out the video below - it proves my point that even the littlest learners can "swipe."  




2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your positive perspective regarding technology for young children. Interactive technology can truly enhance student learning at any age. It can be especially beneficial for young children, because they thrive on kinesthetic, auditory, and visual activities which are individualized and exciting. I look forward to what applications and ideas you will be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a 1 1/2 year old use an iPhone better than my dad probably could. She could swipe it open and go to the princess game. It is amazing how easily they can use technology at such a young age. I agree that we should use their knowledge of technology to have them using the technology for educational reasons. All of the educational apps available can be great for students. We can help students and parents find great apps and technology for learning.

    ReplyDelete